PCC uses the client’s story to examine risk behavior in plain language. PCC is an individual-level, single session counseling intervention designed to reduce unprotected anal intercourse (UAI) among men who have sex with men (MSM) who are repeat testers for HIV. PCC focuses on the person's self-justifications (thoughts, attitudes and beliefs) he uses when deciding whether or not to engage in high risk sexual behavior. PCC is a 30-minute to 50-minute intervention conducted as a component of Counseling, Testing, and Referral Services (CTRS) for MSM who meet the screening criteria.
What Does This Course Aim to Achieve?
By the end of the PCC training, participants will be able to:
· Determine client eligibility for PCC
· Identify an appropriate episode of UAI to talk about in the PCC session
· Direct clients to complete the PCC Questionnaire using the identified UAI episode
· Help the client draw out the story of the memorable UAI episode
· Identify the client’s self-justifications used during the UAI episode and ask the client to talk about them
· Ask the client to talk about what he will do in the future about reducing risk in a similar situation
Who Should Attend This Training?
This training is for individuals experienced in HIV counseling and testing and their supervisors from community-based organizations, AIDS service agencies, and health departments with existing counseling and testing programs. Prerequisites for participation in the training include:
· Previous training in HIV prevention counseling
· At least one year’s experience conducting HIV-related counseling
· Basic interviewing skills
· HIV counseling certification as required in specific jurisdictions, if applicable
· At least two years of postsecondary education (college or community college)
Submit Your Registration Request Today!
There is no fee for this course. Space is limited, so we recommend submitting your registration request at this Website today: http://denverptc.org/class_information.html?id=701
Please contact Michael McLeod (303-602-3627, firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about registering for this course.