The Medicare Annual Wellness Visit
Under the Affordable Care Act, Medicare beneficiaries now receive coverage for an Annual Wellness Visit (AWV), which is a yearly office visit that focuses on preventive health. During the AWV, you will review a patient’s history and risk factors for diseases, ensure that the patient’s medication list is up to date, and provide personalized health advice and counseling. The AWV also allows you to establish or update a written personalized prevention plan. This benefit will provide an ongoing focus on prevention that can be adapted as a beneficiary’s health needs change over time. Help keep your patients as healthy as possible in 2015 by encouraging them to schedule their AWV.
For Patients Newly Enrolled In Medicare
Medicare also provides coverage for the Initial Preventive Physical Examination (IPPE), commonly known as the "Welcome to Medicare" Preventive Visit, a one-time service to newly-enrolled beneficiaries. The IPPE is an introduction to Medicare and covered benefits, with a focus on health promotion and disease detection. The IPPE must be performed within the first 12 months after the beneficiary’s effective date of their Medicare Part B coverage. Help ensure that your newly enrolled Medicare patients get a good start in 2015 by encouraging them to schedule their one-time IPPE. Note: Medicare patients do not need to have this visit to be covered for the AWV.
Important Note: Medicare provides coverage of the AWV and the IPPE as Medicare Part B benefits. The beneficiary will pay nothing for the AWV and the IPPE (there is no coinsurance, copayment or Medicare Part B deductible for these benefits).
For More Information
- Medicare Learning Network® “Quick Reference Information: The ABCs of Providing the Annual Wellness Visit” Educational Tool.
- Medicare Learning Network “Quick Reference Information: The ABCs of Providing the Initial Preventive Physical Examination” Educational Tool.
- Medicare Learning Network “Quick Reference Information: Preventive Services” Educational Tool.
- Initial Preventive Physical Exam and Annual Wellness Visit National Provider Call Video Slideshow.
- Medicare.gov Website – Information that you can share with your Medicare patients.